February 20, 2020 was UN World Day of Social Justice.
Here are some of the key points the UN highlighted:
- Reduce inequality around the world,
the United Nations labour agency urged on Thursday, World Social Justice Day,
- What is social justice?
- "Social justice is based on equal rights for all peoples and the possibility for everyone, without discrimination, to benefit from economic and social progress around the world.
- Promoting social justice is not just about increasing income and creating jobs, it spotlights human rights, dignity and freedom of expression for workers, along with economic, social and political autonomy.
- Everyone can contribute to social justice by defending gender equality or the rights of indigenous peoples and migrants.
- Social justice flourishes when gender, age, race, ethnicity, religion, culture or disability barriers are struck down."
- Closing inequality gaps
"While work remains one of the best ways to get out and stay out of poverty…it is becoming increasingly difficult for people to find jobs ... social justice is an essential condition for achieving the Sustainable Development Goals ... 2020 is a landmark year",
- Make your voice heard
"The UN labour agency believes that the only way to achieve social justice is to put people and the planet first, fight inequality, reduce poverty and tackle climate change ... and for everyone to make their voice heard".
Read more from the UN article: https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/02/1057811